If you experiment with themes, or switch themes often, you’ve probably experimented problems with widgets: you had lots of them in your sidebar, and they all get dragged into the “inactive” zone of your Widgets page. And you have to drag them back to your new widget area. Painful, especially when you have a lot of different widget areas.
- WordPress 2.9 will allow theme developers to add a description for each widget area. Here is how to add it
Widgets in WordPress 2.8
I have presented you a very complete tutorial about widgets a few weeks ago, but here are a few others to help you manage your widgets easily:
- A tutorial from Woothemes team, to teach you how to create your own WordPress widgets.
- Jeff speaks about two WordPress widget plugins, that can help you to specify where and when widgets are displayed within your WordPress theme. If you are looking for such a plugin, go have a look at Widget Logic and Widget context plugin, they cboth can be really useful!
Manage your newsletters
- Another simple but yet great newsletter plugin for WordPress.
There are lots of things to say about WordPress today!
- Yesterday we saw quite a bit of activity on twitter about a new theme company, yummthemes, coming as a competitor to woothemes and Thesis among others.
One theme has been introduced so far, osea, and it seems interesting even if we have no notions about the price or the conditions attached to that theme coming up in the middle of July.
However the landing page announcing this new theme club seems a bit wrong to me, simply because it shows other WordPress theme developers as competitors when the WordPress community tries to avoid such approach by linking to each other and maintaining good relationship between themselves.
Here is the opinion of the guys from the Couch! Make sure you check the comments as well as yummthemes’ owner has expressed his opinion about all this!
Then some nice tutorials:
- Introduced in WordPress 2.5, shortcodes are a very easy way to display lot of things on your blog posts by inserting a very simple code.
- Creating Dashboard Widgets is an easy thing to do, and can add some professional finish to your theme! Check how to do on WooCamp!
- It’s time for another episode of the WordPress theme tutorial series by themeshaper.com. Today, we will speak about what has to be in your theme.
And a nice WordPress theme:
- ePhoto was created for those looking to turn their blog into a photo gallery