Widget to display a list of posts published “on this day” in years past. A good little bit of nostalgia for your blog.
If you’re familiar with services like Google Photos, TimeHop, or even Facebook Memories, you most likely enjoyed getting little reminders of what happened in your life in years past. This little widget brings this feature to your site.
This widget, just like Google Photos does, will give you a list of posts that were published at around this time (within a week) in the past years. You can choose:
- how many years back it should go.
- how many posts should be displayed at maximum.
- whether you’d like to group your posts by year.
- whether you’d like to display thumbnails for those posts.
- what post types to pick old posts from.
- whether you’d like to look for posts on the exact day, years past, or around this time (within a week).
Frequently Asked Questions
I want to customize the look of my widget
You have 2 ways to do so.
- You can add custom CSS to your site, targetting the
.posts_on_this_daycontainer and its contents to have the widget fit your needs.
- If you’re comfortable with PHP, you can add a code snippet that hooks into the
jeherve_posts_on_this_day_post_markupfilter to customize the look of each single post in the widget. That’s a good way to change the size of the images displayed for each post, for example.
Could you add X?
This widget was developed to fit my needs, it may consequently not have all the bells and whistles you need for your own site. If you have an idea to improve it, let me know by opening an issue on GitHub here.