If you are working with Facebook, you must have been slightly worried when they announced the end of the FBML for page tabs. Within a few weeks, some alternatives have been created, and you could switch from the old FBML to some new system. But to me none of these solutions seem satisfying. And let’s face it, I am too much of a WordPress fan not to imagine merging the two systems. So I took the opportunity to start working on a WordPress plugin that would make creating Facebook iFrame applications dead simple for people administrating a WordPress site.
After a few days of work, here is what I came up with: WP Facebook Applications.
This WordPress plugin is simple to use: download it, install it and activate it on your blog, and a new “FB Applications” menu will appear. There you can create a new page for your Facebook tab, and you are guided through the process in order to keep it as fast and as simple as possible.
A few options are available: you define an image non fans of your page will see, then the content they will see once they “Like” your page. And you can decide to ad a Facebook comments form below that content.
Of course, this plugin is a work in progress: I would be happy to receive all your comments, remarks, ideas and bug reports in order to improve it and add new functionality if need. I actually have a few ideas and a small to-do list for future improvements:
- Limit the size of the images that are displayed on the Facebook pages
- Translate the plugin in my mother tongue, I have been lazy and did not deal with i18n so far;
- Somehow make it easier to create the app on Facebook’s side
- Allow the choice between the landing page for the non-fans, or the content directly
- Add more possibilites for other Facebook elements (like the comments)
What do you think? Will you be using my plugin for your next Facebook tab?
Useful links :
- Help me out with patches : WP-Facebook-applications sur GIThub
- Download the plugin : WP Facebook Applications sur wordpress.org
- Details, more information and documentation: WP Facebook Applications plugin documentation
If you want to follow the evolutions and news about the plugin, follow me on Twitter, or subscribe to this blog!