Another year ends, that’s time for another summary of the things we’ve watched this year :)
Just like every year, I like to go back and reflect a bit on the different things I’ve watched on TV this year. With 363 hours of TV watched this year, our numbers are about the same as last year (362 hours). We’ve watched a lot less movies though; it’s no surprise since we didn’t go to cinema at all this year. :\
Here is a quick overview of all the shows we watched.
We still watch a lot of Drama TV shows, so it’s hard to pick my favourites.
Among the returning shows, I should probably mention Homeland: its last season was a really good one, and if you have not watched this show until now, I would really recommend it. This Is Us also remains something I enjoy a lot. My wife and I are impatiently waiting for the next season of The Good Fight; that show has been fun to watch since its inception. And for something a little darker, and something Breaking Bad fans would enjoy a lot, I would recommend Ozark: its third season was again a strong one.
I had some great surprises with new shows too. We watched new shows released this year, and the slow down caused by COVID was a good opportunity to watch older shows that we had not had the chance to watch yet. Here are some of my favourites this year.
- For All Mankind. This one is a nice surprise; I didn’t check the trailers and only saw some of the show posters. It turned out way better than I expected. I would really recommend it, whether you’re a fan of space or not.
- The Queens’s Gambit. It is about chess, yes, but it’s also much more. I personally don’t play chess, and I’ve still enjoyed it a lot.
- Criminal (UK). This was a very nice twist on your typical police procedural TV shows. It all happens in one room as one suspect gets interviewed. Add in some good actors and good dialogue and you’ve got a great show.
- Years and Years. This one may have hit a little too close to home at times, a bit like Black Mirror does sometimes. I’d still really recommend it.
- Chernobyl. We had avoided it until this year, because it seemed a bit too gloomy. It definitely was a dark show, but still a great watch!
- The Crown. We started watching it in December and immediately liked the actors and the story telling. We’re still watching it and will finish binging all 4 seasons soon.
I must admit I’ve been a bit disappointed with the Sci-Fi shows we’ve watched this year. There were some good things, but nothing really outstanding.
- Star Trek Discovery. This seemed like a good introduction to the Star Trek franchise (I haven’t watched any of the other shows), at a time in the year where we didn’t have much to watch. It is a good show, but as we made our way through its 3 seasons, I found myself more and more bothered by the exposure and over-acting. That may be something usual with Star Trek shows, I don’t know.
- The Expanse. We’re about to start watching season 5. I’ve enjoyed what they did with season 4, especially since the matching book was my least favourite of the series.
- The Umbrella Academy and The Boys were good, but not as interesting as their previous seasons in my opinion.
- Westworld remains a great show, and I always like the music. :)
- I liked Devs, and would recommend it.
- The Mandalorian was a let down for me. I had high expectations based on the last season, but this second season felt like just a lot of fan service to me.
- Ted Lasso. This was a great surprise. Even if you don’t like football, you’ll love this show.
- Superstore. Here is a show we’ve really enjoyed since it first started, but I must admit I was a bit worried when I learned that America Ferrera was leaving the show. Luckily, the first few episodes we’ve seen so far were just as good as before.
- The Good Place. Still a great comedy!
- Schitt’s Creek. I don’t get the hype with this one. We watched the first season because of the emmys it got, and because we were out of comedy shows to watch, but I just couldn’t get into it. Not a lot of the jokes were funny to me. I would not recommend it, unless like us, you’re out of things to watch. :)
That’s all I’ll highlight this time around. As you can tell from the top image, we’ve watched many more shows. Not all were good, not all were bad. In fact we enjoyed almost all of them. :)
I’m curious about your choices though. If you have any recommendations for the new year, please let me know!